Grifton Volunteer Fire Department
In Case of Emergency  Call 
Emergency 911 System

911 is the number to know to report a police, fire, or medical emergency
         -- a situation requiring the immediate presence of police officers, fire fighters or emergency medical personnel.

In a crisis, seconds count!  -- they can mean the difference between life and death. 

There is one easy-to-remember numberto call for police, fire and medical emergencies -- 911

No coin is required if calling from a pay phone.

But please remember, 911 is an emergency number ONLY.
To place non-emergency calls to a police agency, fire department or medical service, please consult your telephone directory for the appropriate numbers.

1) If you call from any telephone in Pitt County, listen for a dial tone, and then press 911.  You do not have to deposit a coin in a pay phone.

2) When you reach the emergency 911 phone dispatcher, you will be asked to verify the location from which you are calling and describe the nature of the emergency.

3) Stay calm. Do not hang up. Stay on the telephone until directed otherwise by the 911 dispatcher.  If you hang up, you must redial.

4) If you call from a cellular phone, your call will be routed to the NC State Police. Describe the nature of your emergency and your call will be routed to the appropriate agency. Note that cellular calls go to many "cell sites" and your call might not be answered close to where you are. You must describe to the dispatcher the location of the emergency you are reporting.

Intentional misuse of 911 is against the law and may delay someone else's access to emergency assistance.

Call 911 to report:

  • If someone is breaking into your home now, or breaking into a neighbor's home.

  • A shooting

  • A fire

  • A traffic accident involving injury

  • A person screaming

  • A person choking

  • A fight or display of weapons

An emergency is any situation that to preserve life or property requires immediate response
by police, fire or emergency medical agencies.

Do NOT call 911 to: 

  • Report telephone, power or cable television outages.

  • Report an abandoned vehicle, a loud party, a pet-related
    problem or vandalism.

  • Request legal advise

  • Request directory assistance

  • Request or provide any information that does NOT need


Please remember: 

911 is an emergency number and should not be used for non-emergency purposes.


Lenoir County Emergency  Service
P. O. Box 3289

200 Rhodes Avd.

Kinston, NC  28502

 Telephone:  252-526-6126

Fax:  252-559-6152

Lenoir Co. Emergency Services

Pitt County 9-1-1 Communications 
A Division of Emergency Management
1717 W. 5th Street
Greenville, NC 27834-1696
Telephone: 252-902-2600
Fax: 252-830-4611

911 INFO          ABOUT US          CONTACT US          DONATE
FIRE SAFETY          HOME          JOIN US          KIDS          LINKS
Copyright © 2011 by Grifton VFD...All rights reserved.